Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Criminal

So recently I bought 2 of the 4 book criminal series. A series that I started a couple months back and was excited to get one step closer to finishing. The series is by Author Ed Brubaker. A man who is quickly becoming one of my favorite authors. And as much as I love his mainstream work he has done with Batman and Daredevil I love more his side vertigo projects including sleeper and incognito.

Criminal
























This is an ongoing series that appears to have at least 2 more issues or books coming out. The first two Coward and Lawless are two of my favorite books and will go down in history as two of my favorite books ever. The other are good but not great. I started reading the series a little while ago when I found them at the library. They had the first too on shelf and I ran through those pretty quickly. Then I started to search amazon and realized that this was an ongoing series so I searched at the library for the next two and found out that they had like 3 copies of bad night and non of the dead and the dying so I knew what that meant... it meant I was going to have to buy the other two. When I found them at borders it was not a question of how much as much of how many should i buy. long story short bought the last two and checked out the first two.

As I reread the Coward and Lawless I started to see something different about these books. A small thread that ran through the first two books, small connections and references that had not noticed the first time through. So I was equally excited about reading the dead and the dying. It did not disappoint. Again you can see the small thread leading through all the stories. And so it did through Bad night. The cool thing about this series and Mr. Brubaker as a whole is that he has a very distinctive Noir style that is not forced down your throat but massaged into the story as it should be. Its not the basic Film Noir detective story but rather has the grittiness and feel of a Noir. This was always very cool too me and kept me interested in reading more. The stories are always fun and very engaging and the writing and drawing styles alike are great. I would suggest this series to anyone interested in comics but it is definitely aimed at adults, no kids allowed.

I am more excited to talk to Ed brubaker at the emerald city comicon next week. I hope he is willing to sign my book and take a picture. Plus I hope he is as chill as I can imagine.

No comments:

Post a Comment