Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Wolfman

I remember the first preview I saw of this film and I was damn excited to watch it. Then came the push back on the release... fear quickly overcame me and i was worried that the studio may have seen something in the movie that was not worth watching or that scared them. Because in the movie theater business everyone knows that February-April is the crap releases of film. Every once in a while you get a gem but as a whole you see movies that dont fit into the summer or Christmas releases. For example check out the movies that have come out since January... Day Breakers, Leap Year, Youth in Revolt, The Book of Eli, Legion, Tooth Fairy, Edge of Darkness, Percy Jackson, Cop Out, The Crazies, etc. These movies are not necessarily bad but are not all star movies. So the movie came out and i hesitated to watch it, my worst fears were already being confirmed though. As employees came and went to the movie and I did not hear one good thing come from it I was desperately worried.

So Saturday rolls around and i happen to have the day off so we decide to watch this movie. The film started out pretty slow and the distractions of people talking behind me was not the most frustrating part of the first half of the movie. Besides being slow the story was convoluted and pretty strange. But i was still holding out a little hope, then all of a sudden there was it was my gleam of hope, when you see the man transform into a werewolf for the first time, it looked very smooth and very clean, and sadly was literally the best part of the movie. As the man finishes his transformation the wolf that rises does not strike fear into my heart but laughter into my belly, because the wolf that rises is very similar to a wolf of many years past... I remember saying to myself, "wait is that a fucking teen wolf??" And sadly even though it looked identical to a werewolf from a low budget comedy of the 80's it was not in a sports jersy shooting hoops but rather was howling at the moon doing its best to be menacing. Even now I am struck with the realization that this is what the studio saw, this is the reason it got pushed back to the lower class season of movies. After this sad pathetic attempt at making a werewolf I was completely drawn out of the movie and found my self nodding off and laughing more then engaging in the film. When the end finally came I left that theater as quick as possible ready for cleansing my eyes and mind of that painful eye rape.

Overall I was really really excited for this movie after the first trailer, and when the posters came my excitement continued. I noticed my feelings turning a bit when the standee came out and it was cheap and pretty uninteresting, but I still held out hope. And even though my fellow employees warned me of what was to come I still held out some hope. But yet it was not worth the time. The film was bad. The only good thing that came from it was the transformation. The story was terrible and honestly a bit predictable. The makeup was just horrific and this coming from the day and age where you see amazing things happening on screen. I would suggest no one to watch this movie, maybe renter just out of morbid curiosity but nothing good came of it.

Sne@Ky

No comments:

Post a Comment