Thursday, January 7, 2010

Movies 2009

Ok So I am going to be like everyone else and post my top ten of 2009 but the problem is that I have missed a couple movies along the way and I have missed a couple movies near the end of the year. So with that being said I will do my top 5 and a couple honorable mention and a couple Wish list.

Top 5 of the year:
5. Watchmen I loved this movie I thought it was very well done and for a comic book movie followed the book very well and the parts that it did change, felt very justifiable. I think this director is amazing and I thought the actors were great. But most of all after watching comic book movies such as wanted, wolverine, spiderman, surrogates, white out, etc. I can say that accuracy is a struggle with this genera of film. The sad thing is that most people didn't see this film and the people who did a lot didn't understand it, but the film was great from a comic fans stand point.

4. Star Trek this film was a great re-inventing of a franchise that was close to gone. I loved what they did with characters and I loved what they with continuity and how they gave a middle finger to fan boys who would have complained about issues with two Spocks and what not. The quotes were great the action was great and the story was pretty awesome. I loved this film from start to finish. This was a great start of the summer.

3. 500 days of Summer I know most people will hate on this pick but I loved this film. I thought the acting was great on both ends with Joseph Gordon Levit and Zoey Desch... how ever you spell her name. They were both very good in this film. The jumping around was a bit confusing at first but ended telling a very interesting story with very good twists and great humor. Plus the story was just great.

2. District 9 So I wasn't sure about this movie at first, but after hearing about the director and the amount of money spent and seeing Alive in Joburg, I started to get excited. I loved this film the movie cost nothing the FX's were great and the story was amazing. This is what sci fi movies need to be like. This movie cost: 30 million and it was 100x better the Gi joe which cost 175 million and grossed close to the same amount. Everything about this film was enjoyable and good.

1. The hangover This is going to sound crazy but for pure enjoyment alone I loved this film. I saw this 3 times in the theaters and would have watched it 1000 more times. Because this film is full of great quotes and is hands down one of the best comedies I have ever seen. The characters are great the story is funny and everything fits together so well. I loved this film more then anything this summer and year and possibly years in the past. I keep getting more and more out of it. So I am very excited to watch this on blu-ray for the years to come.

Honorable Mention:
1. Up this film was very well done, even though it was extremely depressing I found it very entertaining and good all around. Pixar has only disappointed me a couple times. The movie was great even though it was sad.
2. Zombieland The movie was great for anyone who loves zombies. The film was funny, gory, interesting, and just plain fun. They did some very interesting things in all aspects of this film, the best example is the pop up words that came throughout the movie. It was very clever I enjoyed it.
3. Away we Go for indie films it was very good. I love John Kresen... whatever it was a good film not top 5 worthy but a good flick non the less. Realize that the film is pretty indie but good.
4. Ninja Assassin This movie was fun as hell the graphics were a little corny and the story was terrible but fun as hell.
5. Drag me to Hell again another fun as hell film. Not usually a top 10 film but it was fun and very well done. Great director great acting and really really funny. If you havent watched it and like Evil dead you would enjoy it.
6. Ponyo great film if you like the director. Was not as good as howls moving castle or Princess Monokoe but still a great movie.

Missed but want to see to complete list (in no particular order)
1. Avatar
2. Sherlock Holmes
3. Crazy Heart
4. Invictus
5. Up in the Air
6. The Princess Frog
7. The Road
8. Fantastic Mr. Fox
9. Boondock Saints II
10. Where the Wild things are
11. Hurt locker
12. The Soloist
13. Sunshine Cleaning
14. A serious Man
15. Pirate radio

The most disappointing fims for me: (in no order)
ok so these films are movies I am not too impressed with but some people may disagree with but who cares this is my blog.
1. Inglorious Bastards ok i put this at 1 on purpose. I was most disappoint by this film. I loved parts of it mostly the acting and the dialogue from a couple characters but really I expected something else from this film. Better direction and maybe a little less story. There was just too much to swallow and at the end I was a little disappointed. But the thing that killed me the most was the lack of Inglorious bastards in this film.
2. Street Fighter I didnt expect greatness but I expected better then the original film with Jean Claude Van Damm. But truly this film was worst then the last and probably close to the worst film of the year.
3. Xmen: Wolverine-Orgins I kind of knew this film was going to blow but I was hoping for something good some reason for me to believe in the franchise and believe a company other then marvel could make a good comic book movie. But from start to finish this film disappointed. It destroyed great characters like dead pool and Gambit. Where was the accent for Gambit and how did the upgraded Deadpool bend his arms with those swords in them... Lol bad film
4. The Brothers Bloom I was really excited for this flick but should have realized that the movie was probably not going to be good being that it took so long to release then went straight to DVD. It just didnt feel right and the story seemed to twist a little too much. I loved the final scene with the brothers but that was it.
5. The proposal This movie was huge at my theater and it was a little too awkward for me to enjoy it. I laughed a couple times but I remember feeling more uncomfortable then anything else. This was suppose to be a huge great movie.
6. The Ugly Truth the same thing as the last comment. Funny parts where I was literally laughing out loud but just too uncomfortable.
7. Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen I will say that I enjoyed this film and I even paid a little amount to watch it on minI-max but it was just not what I wanted to see. There were some great things in it and some terrible things in it. For example the Ethnic robots were a little lame and very uncomfortable plus a tad bit racist. The fact that they destroyed the Construct-a-con was lame as hell. And hell the construct-a-con was pretty disappointing...
8. Surrogates/Pandorum I didnt expect great things from these films but I did hope for some decent movies. I was of course wrong... They both sucked hard.
9. The Men Who stare at Goats I thought the movie was going to be a comedy but instead I laughed only once... and it was caused by lsd... so yeah...

So that is my look into 2009 feel free to comment. I enjoy watching movies I wish I had more time to watch movies. But I run out of time on a regular basis. But one day... and I will be able to post more about them. So enjoy my list and I understand if you all hate me for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment