Thursday, January 7, 2010

top 5 graphic novels

Ok guys so this list is going to be short and sweet. I will put an asterix on this because I know even though I have read many many comics in the last couple months I know my list is still going to be missing a good chunk of comics. So here we go.


1. Kingdom Come: What can be said about Mark Waid and Alex Ross. First of all Alex Ross is one of the most talented artist in the comic book world. Most of the time you can only see Alex doing the cover of a book but in this one he did the entire book. Then lets not forget that the comic itself is just amazing. Mark Waid told an amazing story from start to finish. The characters the story development. Just everything. One of the coolest moments is when The Flash pulls the preacher out of the realm that he was in. It was amazingly awesome. Good book for anyone who has not read this one.



2. Watchmen: Anyone who doesn't have this on their top 5 has never read it. The book is damn amazing, so good that it won a Hugo award. To call this a graphic novel is almost an insult, its more of an Novel with illustrations. The story is so in depth and so amazing. From cover to cover you get fed an amazing amount of images and story and political concepts. It was hands down amazing. Also lets not forget that there is an interesting story within story going on that connects beautifully with the main story. And the only reason I put this at number two was because of readability. I love Watchmen but I can read and reread kingdom come constantly.



3. The Dark Knight Returns: The book is damn amazing. I dont know if there is anything better from Frank Miller. The story is solid the late different look at batman and into batman is par none. You see an older batman that struggles from age and needs to find himself again and fixing what has happened to Gotham. Its solid, the story is great, and I love the style of animation. Its amazing.






4. Maus: This story is hard to put on a top 5 list because its a tough read. The story is amazing but its a tough subject. The author and artist relived his parents experience of painful Germany and Nazis through a means that would help him relate or rather understand it. So instead of using people he used mice. And told the stories of his parents. It was very heart filled and very interesting. The stories were amazing the art was great and the narrative outside of the story was really interesting too. It belongs on all lists but this is another one of the graphic novels that should be considered a novel over a graphic novel.



5. Batman Long Halloween: Long Halloween is done by one of my favorite combos in the comic book world, Tim Sale and Jeph Loeb. They have done great things for comics. And this story was one of the greatest I have ever read. It involved many characters. It takes a cool detective look at batman which is the greatest aspect of Batman. And its just hands down a solid solid story. It started great and ended great. I enjoyed it greatly.




So that is my top 5 graphic novels of all time.

Here goes to honorable mention.
1. Wanted by Mark Millar: This book was actually really good but the movie blew chunks. The book is solid the art is fun and the story is pimp. The main character is a perfect anti-hero. Its cool as hell.
2. Planet hulk series by Greg Pak: This story is really cool and really one of the first hulk books I enjoyed. To see hulk as a bad guy then a hero and then a planet saver. It is crazy to see him in a place that he is actually more comfortable on this foreign planet and it ends really cool.
3. The Joker by Brian Azzarello: The book is cool and the story is awesome plus the art is good.
4. Arkham Asylum by Grant Morrison: Arkham Aslyum was a great dark look into the aslyum that is so important to many stories of Gotham city. The story is cool and the art is crazy. Its dark as hell and crazy as hell. Plus Grant Morrison is one of my favorite authors.
5. Spiderman: Evolve or Die by Peter David: This story was crazy. I dont know how much it follows continuity but the story was pretty cool. The concept was pretty crazy and to see some of it happen was actually really cool.
6. Green Arrow: Year One by Andy Diggle: I bought this because I actually love Green arrow and this story was really really cool. From start to finish I enjoyed it. I wasn't sure if I would enjoy it at first but after a getting into it I read it in about 35mins. It was solid and cool as hell.
7. Identity Crisis by Brad Meltzer: I really really liked this story. It took a look at what happens to super heroes when they take off the mask. The danger that can come on their off time. I will say it was amazing until just about the end when it got kind of lame... But none the less still pretty amazing.
8. Sleeper Series by Ed Brubaker: Ed Brubaker has become one of my favorite authors. He does some really really cool stories. And these stories are pimp as hell. Its a graphic book series of 4 and they are all awesome.

After looking at my honorable mention list I probably could have done a top 10. But I like top 5 lists. And I was being distracted by How I met your mother.

No comments:

Post a Comment